Friday 16 August 2013

How we can feel insignificant when we're not

Welcome to Five Minute Friday, a great creative challenge where we write free flowing, as it comes, straight from the heart, in the space and time constraints of 300 seconds. No over-thinking, editing or worry about perfection.

It's a period of letting go and letting God inspire us!


I find that the one word prompt often stirs deep thoughts and poetry tends to spills forth.


Today's prompt is:'Small'



START....



You're not small




The world will try to tell you you're small.
Tiny. Insignificant. No mystery.

Yesterday's news. History.
Dirt on their shoes.

Shrinking into insignificance
like Alice and Gulliver
in a world of giants. A sea of faces.

No more noticeable than any other.
So we plead. We shout. Call out. Reveal our need.

And get pushed down. Pressed hard.
Ignored, we shrink back to wall.

My friend, you are not small at all
in your Creator's eyes.

He - delights over you with singing
rejoices at your birth
sees your end from your beginning 
and considers it all inestimable worth.

So much so He gave His life
for you and me
hung, suffered, died
on Calvary's tree.

Now risen, ascended on high
His Holy whispers from above
draws us gently nigh
to a heart heavy with Love

Overflowing with grace
mercy beyond measure
for His chosen people
His beloved. His treasure.

Don't feed into the world's lies.
Lift your head and see yourself
in God's eyes.

The new person 
He is shaping you to be
clothed in righteousness
royal robed child
of worth and dignity.
©JoyLenton2013


Joining here with Lisa-Jo Baker at the Five Minute Friday blog link up. 

The deal is to read and leave a comment on the post before your own to encourage one another. You are very welcome to join in.

To stay in touch with my posts you can subscribe by e-mail or find me here on Facebook.

28 comments:

  1. Such beautiful words, Joy! Popping over from FMF. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheri. Honoured by your visit! Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment. Blessings.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Joy. I suspect many Christian Poets and Writers in our Facebook group will be blessed by this too, so I highlighted the post on the blog - http://christianpoetsandwriters.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this, Mary! I am delighted that my post speaks to you and can hopefully bless others too.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful. Beautiful. I love the image of God singing over us with delight. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynne. Yes, it's a lovely image, isn't it? The words from Zephaniah 3:17 - "The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing" were my inspiration here.

      Delete
  4. So beautifully expressed Joy, as ALWAYS! My favorite... "His Holy whispers from above
    draws us gently nigh to a heart heavy with Love". Thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Caryn, and for sharing your favourite part! Bless you.

      Delete
  5. Lovely words of wisdom and encouragement! Thank you, Joy! So very blessed and uplifted by your passage today. Powerful words, Lift your head and see yourself in God's eyes."
    Blessings my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a blessing and encouragement you are to me, Kathy! Thanks very much for your lovely comment.Blessings to you too, my friend.

      Delete
  6. Lovely. He delights over me with singing... how wonderful this is. What a beautiful (and timely) reminder.
    Thank you, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does indeed, Helen. We all need that reminder from time to time, don't we? Thank you for sharing here, my friend.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful, Joy - I so often struggle with feelings of worthlessness, so it's good to be reminded that I am God's treasure. F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know where you are coming from, Fiona. Negative messages we receive and believe can linger long and take time to eradicate. So we need to know how God sees us instead. Hold on to that truth! You are His treasure. Blessings.

      Delete
  8. Dear Joy
    Oh, how I hear your heart. The world loves to tell us that having a disabling disease makes us little less than a heavy burden on a society that values people on their ability to add value to their sense of usefulness!
    Great post, dear friend, just great! It lifted my heart.
    Blessings XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it does. Being chronically sick can make us feel less in our own as well as society's eyes. How we need to remember who we are in Christ! So pleased these words lifted you, Mia. Blessings xx

      Delete
  9. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Joy. You bring joy with your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you, thank you, Annette! You have truly brought joy to me through your words. My aim is to help and encourage others. Bless you. xx

      Delete
  10. Breathtakingly beautiful. Those are the best words I can come up with for this. :) Visiting from FMF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such lovely, encouraging words - I'll take them! Thank you so much for your kindness and for stopping by to bless me. I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  11. Dear Joy,
    Walking about in Rome, I feel small. The tall buildings and the thousands of years of history from BC. Your poem is so beautiful and yes, you do need to see yourself in God's Eyes.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful to be "walking about in Rome"! Though I can appreciate how so much grandeur could be diminishing. But the One who created the beauty there sees you as honoured and precious in His sight, Patricia. Thanks very much for stopping by. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful Joy. Really nice. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Anne! I really appreciate you stopping by to leave a lovely comment.

      Delete
  13. Joy, you are a gifted poet. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Eileen, for stopping by and leaving this lovely, encouraging comment. I am truly grateful that God blesses me with inspiration and words!

      Delete
  14. What a polished precious gem of encouragement your words are, Joy, as always! Blessings and thanks to you XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As are your sweet words to me, Joyce! Thank you very much, my friend. Blessings and love xx

      Delete