There's no denying that babies and young children have a zest for life and a thirst for knowledge.
Six months ago I became a grandma for the first time, and it's a beautiful thing to watch this young life developing before my eyes ~ his individual character coming through, self-expression making itself felt, joy being his default mood most days!
I look forward to cuddling and cossetting him as the young baby he still is.
He settles briefly, enjoying the contact, even as he yearns to wriggle free, grow away from protective arms and move independently.
He's ready for new experiences, some embraced swiftly and others he's more cautious about.
We think of all we can teach and help him with in the months and years to come.
But have you considered just how much little ones can teach us?
It's worth a thought.
Here's an example of what babies teach us:
- What goes in must come out somewhere
- Comfort = a full tummy, warm embrace and a personal slave
- Crying, kicking and screaming are great ways to get attention
- Sleep is a luxury denied to new parents ~ most parents actually
- Unpredictability is the name of the game ~ keep 'em guessing
- Clothes are only worn to get them dirty
- I may be small but you'll need a whole house/garage to store my stuff in
- Babies rule, OK?
- Rest/nap when you need to ~ listen to your body
- Be fully present and alert when you're awake
- Embrace each new day as an adventure, arms open ready to receive, mind willing to learn
- Know your limitations and seek to move beyond them at your own pace
- Be sociable and friendly ~ everyone needs a smile
- Hug those you love the most and who love you
- Trust daily needs to be provided for
- Learn how to listen and communicate with others
- Be willing to try/learn/enjoy something new every day
- Realise the importance of play as relaxation, therapy and education
- Enjoy life's simple pleasures
- Express gratitude
- Be fully yourself
- Be true to your feelings
- Show love, give love and receive love
- Remember that you're a unique, valuable, wonderful human being ~ just as you are
My grandson is teaching me so much already, not least to embrace life with joy and enthusiasm, to appreciate things I would otherwise take for granted and to appreciate my loved ones all the more.
It is my dearest hope and prayer to leave him a lasting legacy of faith in God. He is already giving me a legacy of grace as he savours life with joyful trust, openness and abandon.
I'm encouraged by the thought that even tinies have things to teach us. And as we stay teachable in our spirits, God finds numerous ways to make His wisdom known to us, to open our eyes to life anew, and reveal more of His grace and joy in the everyday.
Joining Holley and Jennifer as we seek to encourage your hearts and tell His story of redemption and grace.