Tuesday 9 April 2013

Figment

A bit of light-hearted relief in our God-sized dream journey this week as this comes to you by power of my (Spirit and faith-filled) imagination.

No deep soul-searching. Instead of a life described As Is, this is life 'As I wish it could be' as I challenge and confront fear head-on.

I know that no matter how boldly I may proclaim it, the fear monster has a way of creeping and sneaking back into my life to kill, steal and destroy.

Hopefully, the confidence and courage I have displayed here will rub off on me and on you too as you read!
"For God has not given us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear), but He has given us a spirit of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control" ~ 2 Timothy 1:7
So when the fear monster knocks at the door of our hearts we can:

Let Faith answer the door - and send him packing

Holley has asked us to "have a little talk with the fear in your life" by writing a letter to it.

So here goes:
Dear Chihuahua of Fear,
I have some things I'd like to say to you. 
You've had too much attention from me 
and it's gonna stop.
 For far too long you have held me captive...
 but no longer.
So sit up and pay attention to Me instead!

Though you may snarl and threaten like a doberman,
 bare teeth, bark like crazy, jump up with menace, ready to rip apart,
or lay down with innocent-guised slobbering, ball and bone playful, 
  looking intelligently placid, while you plan the next move - on your laptop,


I know you are really only a handbag-size, carry-around pet I have no further use for.
Though you primp and preen with self-importance, 
bigging yourself up larger than you are, flouncing in your finery, 
snappy-yappy to all who challenge,
when you know you have No Power Whatsoever to do more
 than run scared - tail between legs.

You are all noise and no substance


Or maybe you see yourself as a moose 
with horns outstretched, body proud and noble,
weighty killing machine, monarch of all you survey;
 head lifted high to scent for danger,ears and nose a-twitch,
 snuffling for food in the wild, aware of your prowess.


You are nothing more than a pipsqueak mouse.
Long tail thrashing and chasing,
cat escaping, soft-claw scuttling
 back into the hole where you belong.
A cheese gatherer, 
A maiden aunt frightener,
A means to scare

but nothing's really there
to be afraid of


Yes, I remember you appearing in friendly guise to my forebears.
Your rattle, hissing, and poisonous venom I have swallowed blind 
over years without number, without thinking.
Now, I choose to ignore the slither 
and 'come hither' of you creeping close.

Now, I want to kick you into grass
I've had enough of you invading my space



For, Serpent of Old,
you are dead in my eyes.
Just a dried-out husk of skin

I no longer seek to be wrapped up in


Image Courtesy of DigitalPhotos.Net

For, I'm a wily old bird,
wise to your ways.
Now, I can pick you up as the slimy,
weedy little worm you are,
and toss you aside.



Creeping black cat-like into our thoughts,
scratching around in our psyches
claws outstretched, back arched in anticipation 
of sinking teeth into hopes and dreams.
You think you're huge and roaring
but you're only tiny, shadow-boxing.



Get ready to run scared.
The battle cry is due.

The Lion of Judah is on the move
His roar The One to run from

He'll swipe you aside with ease
and already has devoured you.
His the courage we need,
His the strength to resist,
His the faith to protect us.

Only we believe the lies,
 give you room to play your games,
little seeing you for what you really are -
mist, myth, mischief and mayhem-maker,
dream-stealer, dark shadow,
form without substance

just.....False Evidence Appearing Real

You're a Figment,
no more, no less.

So, what are you waiting for?

Get Outta Here!

"There is no fear in love (dread does not exist), but full-grown (complete, perfect) love turns fear out of doors and expels every trace of terror! For fear brings with it the thought of punishment and (so) he who is afraid has not reached the full maturity of love (is not yet grown into love's complete perfection)." ~ 1 John 4:18

Linking here with Holley Gerth and the rest of the God-sized Dream Team.


Do join us for the journey as we share together each week.

To stay in touch with my posts you can link by Google Friend Connect, subscribe by e-mail, or like my Facebook page.

20 comments:

  1. Good alliteration! I will picture fear as a yappy little Chihuahua instead of a big scary Doberman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am a big fan of alliteration! Keep on seeing fear as described and he will feel less frightening. Bless you, Kathleen :)x

      Delete
  2. Stopping by from Holly's link up! Loved how you compared fear to all those scary things, but then revealed it for what it really is... I'm so thankful that God is bigger than our fears.

    I link up, too, but my post didn't really follow the prompt. It's about "Being vs Doing" and if you're interested in reading it, you can find it at: http://www.domesticblissdiaries.com/2013/04/god-sized-dreams-being-versus-doing.html

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alana, thanks so much for stopping by! I have read your insightful post and couldn't agree more. My focus through the God-sized dream is very much on 'being' rather than 'doing'. Though this is in no way the route others may take, especially if God is calling them to specific action. Bless you :) x

      Delete
  3. Oh this is good - "Though you primp and preen with self-importance, "

    So true! It protects itself!

    All noise and no substance - yep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacey. Yes, fear always tries to persuade us it is bigger than it really is. Bless you for your lovely oomment :)x

      Delete
  4. This is exactly what I needed to read this morning. I needed a smile and I needed to cut that creature in my head down to size. I read this recently:
    We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world.'
    I have a voice in my head that tells me that I can't do it, I am not talented enough, not committed enough, not clever enough, just not enough. It's the voice of the snake - the one who doesn't want me to listen to my Father who tells me that I can do all things through Him.
    Thanks, Joy. I love this. Written with wit and energy and an awful lot of power, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really pleased this made you smile as needed, Helen! Love the quote you shared. I think I'll take that on board this week whenever discouragement strikes. Your head voice sounds very similar to mine. As we listen more to our Father's voice then the other one will diminish. Written with energy, did you say? Oh, but only from Holy Spirit. Mine is, as usual, quite depleted. Praise God for His unlimited supply! Blessings :) xx

      Delete
  5. Wonderful post, Joy! Made me smile and my spirit sing! Thank you! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My work is done here! Oh good. I'm so pleased this spoke to you, Joyce. Your encouragement means a lot. Bless you :)xx

      Delete
  6. Love your post! How creative to use all of those animals. All noise and no substance - absolutely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa. Thank you very much for this lovely comment. Blessings to you :) x

      Delete
  7. Wow! You said it, Joy. You said it perfectly! Funny, we both thought of the snake, but I'm not surprised. I have tears in my eyes, because Fear just got the boot out the door. Should I mention, I loved the pictures too? They fit, but the doberman in front of the laptop was way too cute. Well done and inspiring. You do it every time.

    With love, Debby ooxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Debby, you have done it too - left me speechless by your kindness. Thank you, my friend! Blessings and love :)xx

      Delete
  8. First of all, extra credit to you - I laughed out loud before I even started reading thanks to that bug-eyed Chihuahua with a feather boa! Hilarious! Secondly, I love your use of poetry to express your Spirit-filled thoughts. And lastly, False Evidence Appearing Real is brilliant. I'll have to remember that from now on! Thanks for sharing!

    Your sister in Christ, Kelsey
    kelseygillespy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelsey. Yes, isn't he cute? Really pleased you liked both words and imagery. I have Joyce Meyer to thank for the False Evidence Appearing Real as she was the first person I heard it from in her books. Thanks very much for stopping by to leave your lovely comment! :)x

      Delete
  9. Wonderful post Joy!
    Both pictures and words make your point come through loud and clear. Funny that just an hour ago I was talking with my son about anger and how it rises out of fear. Fear is useful when it comes to our protection, but we should gratefully thank him and then send him away, without allowing him to wrap us in his web.

    Blessings sweet friend!
    Katina Vaselopulos
    http://journeyswithkatina.com/
    katiakantzia@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Katina. An awful lot of anger stems from fear - largely fear of unmet or thwarted goals. It is useful when the 'fight, flight, fright' mechanism kicks in to protect us from harm, though out of control fear is damaging for us. Blessings to you, my friend :)

      Delete
  10. Sometimes we all need a bit of light hearted relief from our fears. I love how your poetry and humour give a new perspective and bring God's word alive. I laughed at my own fear battle reading this... and kicked that snake into the grass obviously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed we do, Mandy! It can be so all-consuming and crippling - far from a laughing matter. To have made you laugh is wonderful! Keep on kicking that snake into grass. Bless you :)xx

      Delete