Wednesday 6 May 2015

Weeds are flowers too



As new life springs up all around, I am a bit ashamed to confess that our garden is a messy, tangled up space where weeds run rampant and grass is deep enough to hide things in.

But even this uncultivated space, which speaks loud of our slowness and incapacity, is a source of gratitude and deepening awareness.

As I move more into contemplative mood more during these soul-warming Spring days, I'm developing a greater need to see the sacred in the secular.

I want to awaken to wonder and deeper awareness of God's goodness and grace all around me.

He is manifest to those with eyes to see and ears to hear and reveals Himself in unexpected ways.

As I stepped out the back door recently I saw a blaze of golden sunny rays from tilting heads as dandelions raised their flag to the world.

Unashamedly brazen in their boldness. No apology for being 'less than' any other plant.



And I know deep down that weeds are as flowers, especially when a garden is bereft of those.

Weeds are a sign of life, vigour and vitality.

Weeds speak of thriving where we are planted, of survival against the odds.

Their tenacity and endurance are like faith markers in the soil of God's word.

Their perseverance shows grit and determination.

Their colour is as vivid as any true flower and the green reveal of them is sap and spark of life itself.

They bend to will of wind yet try to straighten tall against the fray of cooler, cloudburst days.

Seeing them move and sway reminds me how Holy Spirit speaks to my soul ~ sometimes soft and low like a soothing lullaby, or fierce and wild as reminder of God's searing love driving through His child's heart in the desire for me to learn and come up higher.

Seeing beauty in the everyday shapes my thoughts, words and poetry. The one below came from seeing a dancing poppy.



'Hanging on'
A lone dancing poppy
bends its head
to will of wind
Faded and jaded
it hangs limp
from its stem
Bravely hanging on
no matter where
the Spirit sends
©JoyLenton2015

Am I advocating we all let our gardens run wild? Embrace chaos, perhaps?

No, not really, even though there is often treasure to be found in seeing what comes up naturally.

What I want to emphasise is how we can feel like weeds - insignificant, on the margins, border and edge-dwellers in society.

Physical and mental health issues help to intensify those feelings, although they are common to all of us from time to time.

And standing alone, feeling lost, left out and isolated is uncomfortable and disturbing.

Friend, let me reassure you that you are not unseen, uncared for, unwanted or unknown. 

I care deeply about all who enter this space, all who are part of its reading community. I pray for you and about you ~ yes, invisible as you may seem.

More significantly, God sees; He cares; He loves you beyond measure.

He wants to be your constant Companion and the Gardener of your soul all the days of your life.

You are already lovely in His eyes, special and unique, no matter whether you feel like a bedraggled weed or a beautiful bloomer.

Because God gives us all the resources we need to survive, thrive, endure, persevere and bloom where we are planted. He will enable you to grow strong and vital in Him.

Our part is to look to Him and ask for all the help we need each day as we are fed by His word and watered by Holy Spirit anointing and grace.


4 comments:

  1. Oh that's lovely, Joy. I was feeling very weedy today, now I know it doesn't matter. Sometimes weeds are even more beautiful than the things we plant, perhaps heart intentions are the same. Something beautiful arises and we think, where did that come from? Thank you for your encouraging heart and your expressive writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keren. Yes, it does sometimes seem that weeds "are even more beautiful than the flowers we plant" and I agree our "heart intentions" probably contribute to their wild flowering. It's hard-wired within us to sow and seek a good return. Weeds remind us of the lavishness of God's grace where their beauty seems an extravagant waste on what we perceive as garden pests.Thank you for adding to the conversation here in your own unique way. I appreciate you stopping by, dear friend. :) x

      Delete
  2. Beautiful blog. I was planting my garden today and had to clean up a few weeds first. It all begins as a seed blown by the wind or dropped by a bird. Seeds get around don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie. Yes, those seeds sure spread fast, don't they? Going wherever the wind decides to send them. I'm sure your garden is a feast for the eyes and not a tangled mess like this one! Thanks for visiting, friend. :) x

      Delete